Lookupuk.com - England Board
|Board Name: England
|Terri Spencer Sheltra
||Plant City, FL United States
||Aug 22, 2000
I'm looking for Spencer first-cousin(s)in the UK whom I've never met. I'm looking for the children, ex-wife, etc. of James O'Connor Spencer, born in Kentucky, USA. James married an Englishwoman during/after WWII and they moved to the US. They were divorced, and Mrs. Spencer took her child/children back to the UK. I know next-to-nothing about my Spencer genealogy. The following is IT. I'd appreciate it if everyone would read this information and see if anything rings a bell. Unfortunately, all but one of the Spencers I know (at least those who might have any info) are dead. The Spencer family scattered long ago and never stayed in touch. Several of my first cousins and I found each other some years ago, but no one has any information; we would love to find our heritage and additional family.
The following is the extent of the information I have on the Spencer family. The name "Gerard" is where I'm looking for a clue. Please forgive my structuring, but I've only been in the genealogy game less than two weeks!
1. Gerard Spencer, married to Eliza Herst/Herot/Hirst/Hurst? Dates/Locations unknown.
2. David Sullen Spencer, b 14 December 1876 (somewhere in KY), died 15 October 1928 (Harlan/Harlan County/KY)
The state of Kentucky's Vital Records department has NO RECORD of his birth OR death.
First marriage to a Miss Molly McGuire; supposedly lasted about three months, then Molly was killed in a fire
Marriage 22 August 1909 (possibly in Coalwood/McDowell County/WV) to Mary Ella Pendleton (b 1 June 1891, Max Meadows/Wythe County/VA), died 20 January 1986 (Logan/Hocking County/OH)
Mary was daughter of George Hiram Pendleton and Alice Serena Eads of Virginia.
Children of David Sullen Spencer and Mary Ella Pendleton:
3. Byron Olin Spencer, b 8 June 1910 (Coalwood, McDowell County, WV), d September 1986 (Logan/Hocking County/OH)
4. David Spencer
4. James Spencer
3. Basil Thomas Spencer, b 13 January 1913 (Dunham/Letcher County/KY), still living, married Bertha Roup/Roop
3. Jack Spencer, b 7 September 1915 (Kimball, McDowell Co/WV), d 15 December 1999 (Dover, DE)
4. At least one son, Bill Roop/Roup
3. James O'Connor spencer, b 9 February 1918 (McRoberts/Letcher County/KY), date of death unknown
Married an Englishwoman in England during/after WWII, had at least one female child; after divorce, wife and child went back to England -- no other information available
3. David Sullen Spencer, b 19 December 1919 (Wayland/Floyd County/KY), d 6 July 1960 (New Orleans, LA) --- MY FATHER
Married to Michelle ? in Louisiana; divorced ???
4. Son, Dana Spencer, b 19 April 1944 (Louisiana), still living
Married Mary Judith Hargroder 20 December 1948 in Opelousas/St. Landry Parish/LA ---- MY MOTHER, still living
4. Mary Therese Spencer, b 22 October 1949 (Baton Rouge, LA) --- MOI
4. Judith Ann Spencer, b 14 October 1951 (Baton Rouge, LA)
3. Clyde Maurice Spencer, b 9 June 1923 (Martin/Floyd County/KY, died ???
Married Phoebe Vencent
4. Terry Spencer (female)
4. Jay Spencer (male)
4. Maurice Spencer (male
All still living
I have more information on my grandmother's family, if that would help. The only other leads on the Spencer are:
David Sullen Spencer, Sr. may have been a coal miner.
At some point, David was supposedly a sheriff in Kentucky or West Virginia.
There was an uncle, Emmett Spencer, who apparently owned coal mines in KY or WV. He supposedly died in VA in 1951, and had an attorney named Edgar Bacon in Jonesville/Lee County/VA. He may have also lived in Lee County, VA.
My grandmother, Mary Ella Pendleton Spencer, told some of my Spencer cousins that we were related to Winston Churchill, Franklin Roosevelt, and Princess Diana Spencer.
|Reply to this